Position: Full time; salaried
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization with chapters across the country. The national headquarters is located on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C.
CAIR's vision is to be a leading advocate for justice and mutual understanding. Its core mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
CAIR is seeking a full time Staff Attorney for its Washington D.C. chapter. This position will report to the National Litigation Director.
The Staff Attorney will be primarily responsible for:
- Performing legal research and drafting of legal documents, including answers, motions and other routine court filings
- Drafting written work product, including legal and research memorandums and other legal documents, as requested
- Drafting demand letters and engaging in alternative dispute resolution to resolve civil rights cases outside court intervention
- Representing clients during FBI interrogations
- Assisting trial attorneys with various aspects of litigation, including, but not limited to, client interviews, factual investigation, legal research, discovery, preparation of trial documents, negotiations, trials and appellate work
- Participating in speaking engagements pertaining to civil rights issues facing the American Muslim community
- Training and coaching of CAIR staff as requested
- Attend continuing legal education seminars and keep abreast of changes in the law through reading or other means
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent assignments and meet deadlines; must be able to work well both independently and in a team environment
- Basic knowledge of federal court practice
- Excellent legal research, writing and oral skills
- No disciplinary actions on record or pending
- Ideal candidates have a minimum of 3 years prior associate-level experience in civil rights
- An understanding of civil rights issues relating to American Muslims
- Passion for the mission of the Council on American-Islamic Relations
- Ability to communicate in language other than English is a plus
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, samples of any relevant work and a resume to email@example.com.