Support the True Patiot Act
CAIR is urging members of the American Muslim community and other people of conscience to contact their elected representatives and ask that they co-sponsor the recently introduced "Benjamin Franklin True Patriot Act," (H.R. 3171) designed to repeal unconstitutional sections of the original USA PATRIOT Act.
The bipartisan bill, which was introduced by Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) and Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) on September 24, 2003, and co-sponsored by 19 other representatives, addresses mounting concerns raised by citizens at a grassroots level who have organized to defend the bill of rights.
The Kucinich-Paul bill repeals 15 sections of the original USA PATRIOT Act, including those that permit:
- "sneak and peak" delayed notification search warrants (section 213),
- warrant-less searches of a broad range of personal records including library, medical, and financial records (section 215),
- the indefinite detention and deportation of non-citizens without judicial review (section 415).
- certain post-9/11 special immigration detention regulations including the use of local law enforcement to enforce immigration laws,
- Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) restructuring that limits immigrants' judicial review.
Contact your representative today and encourage him or her to support this bill.
CO-SPONSORS OF THE BILL: Rep. Paul (TX), Rep. Conyers (MI), Rep. Miller (CA), Rep Baldwin (WI), Rep. McDermott (WA), Rep. Serrano (NY), Rep. Hinchey (NY), Rep Schakowsky (IL), Rep. Lee (CA), Rep. Solis (CA), Rep Woolsey (CA), Rep. McGovern (MA), Rep. Abercrombie (HI), Rep Stark (CA), Rep. Filner (CA), Rep. Grijalva (AZ), Rep. Honda (CA), Rep. Tubbs Jones (OH), Rep. Jackson- Lee (TX), Rep. Farr (CA).