The Executive Director is responsible for the fulfillment of the organization’s local mission and the development and implementation of its strategies. The Executive Director serves as the chief executive of the chapter, overseeing and providing strategic leadership for the chapter’s continued growth and development. The Executive Director should:
Title: Communications & Outreach Coordinator
Position Type: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Areas of Focus: Digital media, print publications, journalism, and marketing
Location: Dallas, Texas
Position Overview: CAIR DFW is looking for a passionate and talented individual to fill the newly created Communications & Outreach Coordinator position. Join one of the most dynamic teams defending civil rights on behalf of the American Muslim community.
Time Commitment: Full-time with periodic evenings and weekends required for presentations and community outreach events.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
● Developing and strengthening relationships with journalists, editors, bloggers and other media professionals
● Preparing news releases and organizing news conferences
● Writing opinion pieces and letters to the editor
● Conducting as well as coordinating media interviews; preparing statements and talking points
● Proactively work with media to generate comprehensive coverage of Islam and American Muslims
● Directing media campaigns and projects
● Maintaining website and social media presence including regular updates and the creation of original content
● Sending out email newsletter and updates to community members regularly
● Leveraging social/digital media to develop relationships with the community and keeping community informed
● Assisting D.C. office with media work around national issues and campaigns
● Providing digital and print marketing support for CAIR programs and events
● Managing graphic design, photography, layout, video editing and other multimedia needs
● Acting as primary coordinator and point person for all CAIR-DFW and affiliated events.
● Creating marketing materials such as posters, fliers, print newsletters, e-mail newsletters, and announcements while upholding brand awareness and standards in all marketing materials
● Researching & implementing use of new technologies to enhance CAIR-DFW’s communications (as needed)
● Ensuring all communications adheres to CAIR’s core values and mission
● Facilitating the research and development of content for publication including annual reports
● Supervising interns to support communications department needs
● Working with Islamic centers, MSAs, and other faith communities and communities of color on a variety of social justice issues
● Recruiting and establish relationships with volunteers and community activists
● Providing presence at relevant organizations’ (colleges, nonprofits, mosques, etc.) events, activities, etc.
● Delivering CAIR-DFW public educations programs, interactive workshops, training sessions, and forums
● Other duties as assigned
All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
● A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications/Public Relations/Journalism or related field
● 2 to 4 years of experience, post-graduation
● Excellent oral communication and writing skills; knowledge of AP style preferred
● Highly motivated, self-initiating and energetic
● Experience working with non-profit organizations and Muslim community desired
● Must have capability to work on multiple projects or tasks at a time
● Excellent oral and written communication and managerial skills to interface with media professionals, community leaders, volunteers, donors, and staff in a professional and effective manner.
● Strong organizational and time management skills
● Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook software
● Working knowledge of Constant Contact and WordPress; NationBuilder a plus.
● Familiarity with Google Analytics (preferred)
● Ability to work well on tight deadlines
● Experience with public speaking
● Experience working with the American Muslim community
● Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout North Texas for events and outreach
● Conversational proficiency in Arabic, Farsi or Urdu (preferred)
● A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
This position reports to the Executive Director.
● Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
● Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, holidays and vacation.
Please send (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, (3) a brief example of your writing, and (4) the names and contact information of three references, to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications & Outreach Coordinator”.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. CAIR-DFW is an equal opportunity employer.