Thank those in congress who did not vote for pro-Israel resolutions
CAIR is calling on Muslims nationwide to contact elected representative who did not vote in favor of yesterday's congressional resolutions offering unconditional support to Israel for its recent brutal invasion of Palestinian territory.
A total of 84 senators and representatives did not vote in favor of the resolutions, including 82 in the House (21 opposed, 29 present, 32 no vote) and two in the Senate. Sens. Ernest F. Hollings (D-S.C.) and Robert C. Byrd (D-W.Va.), the only senators to vote against the resolution, said it was not even-handed in criticizing violence.
In a similar December 5, 2001, vote on a pro-Israel House resolution, just 49 representatives did not offer their support. This is an indication that uncritical congressional backing for Israel's actions is beginning to decrease.
Political observers say the resolutions, and recent extreme pro-Israel statements by congressional leaders, are part an effort by both major parties to out-bid each other in appealing to Jewish voters and campaign
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED:
1. Please review the list below to see if your representative voted against HR 392.
2. If your representative voted NO, please contact his or her office to show thanks for supporting a balanced US role in the Middle East, and for protecting US interests.
3. If your representative voted PRESENT, please contact his or her office to show thanks for supporting a balanced U.S. role in the Middle East and to encourage the representative to vote NO on future unbalanced and counterproductive resolutions.
4. If your representative is not listed below, he or she voted YES on the resolution. Please contact his or her office to express disappointment that he or she supported a resolution that harms America's efforts to bring a
just settlement to the conflict and that harms U.S. interests in the region.
5. Save the list below to stay in touch with your representatives.