U.S. Mosques Urged to Host 'Sharing Ramadan' Iftars
In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CAIR LAUNCHES 'SHARING RAMADAN' OUTREACH INITIATIVE
Fast-breaking events designed to enhance understanding of Islam
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 9/13/2006) - CAIR today launched its annual "Sharing Ramadan" outreach effort designed to enhance understanding of Islam and to help Americans of all faiths meet their Muslim neighbors by taking part in a Ramadan "iftar," or fast-breaking meal.
The CAIR initiative is designed to address the rising level of Islamophobic prejudice in American society. Research shows that anti-Muslim bias decreases when people have access to accurate information about Islam and are able to connect on a personal level with ordinary Muslims.
"We urge local Muslim communities to share Ramadan's spirit of compassion, forgiveness and mercy with friends, neighbors and colleagues of other faiths," said CAIR Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper.
For example, seven San Francisco Bay Area mosques will open their doors on the weekend of October 7-8 for iftars with friends, neighbors, interfaith leaders, and public officials.
Hooper quoted the Quran, which states: "O mankind! We created you from a single pair of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes so that you might come to know one another. Surely the noblest of you in the sight of God is he who is the most righteous." (49:13) He also said Ramadan "is the month of sharing with others." (Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 614)
CAIR is helping local Muslim communities organize "Sharing Ramadan" iftars by providing step-by-step instructions for hosting the events. The "Sharing Ramadan Resource Guide" also contains a "Welcome to Our Ramadan Fast-Breaking" brochure designed to be copied and distributed to iftar participants.
'SHARING RAMADAN" KIT TABLE OF CONTENTS:
* Welcome Letter from CAIR Director
* Step-by-Step Guide to Organizing an Iftar
* Sample Media Advisory
* Welcome to Our Ramadan Fast-Breaking Brochure
* Ramadan FAQs
* Islam/American Muslims FAQs
* Sample Event Program
* Sample Newspaper Ad
1) FORM A 'SHARING RAMADAN' COMMITTEE in your community to help in this effort. E-Mail: email@example.com so we can keep track of all the communities participating in this nationwide initiative.
2) COPY AND USE the materials in the "Sharing Ramadan" kit.
3) CONTACT A LOCAL CAIR OFFICE for help in organizing the iftar.
4) SEND CAIR photos and video of your event. (Also count the number of attendees.)
5) BECOME A CAIR MEMBER or DONATE to help us carry out this important work.
- PLEASE ANNOUNCE, POST AND DISTRIBUTE -
Council on American-Islamic Relations
453 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20003
Tel: 202-488-8787, 202-744-7726
NOTE: CAIR offers an e-mail list designed to be a window to the American Muslim community. Subscribers to the list receive news releases and other materials dealing with American Muslim positions on issues of importance to our society.
To reach the list moderator, send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To SUBSCRIBE to or UNSUBSCRIBE from CAIR-NET, go to: http://cair.biglist.com/cair-net/