U.S. Mosques Urged to Reach out with 'Sharing Ramadan' Iftars
(WASHINGTON, DC - 10/7/04) - Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said that
Ramadan "is the month of sharing with others." (Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 614)
Based on that tradition and on the growing level of Islamophobia in
American society, CAIR is calling on Muslim communities nationwide to hold
"Sharing Ramadan" iftars and mosque open houses for people of other faiths
to help promote better understanding of Islam and Muslims.
Recent CAIR research has shown as many as 1-in-4 Americans hold anti-Muslim
views. That same research indicates that anti-Muslim prejudice decreases
when people have access to accurate information about Islam and relate to
"Since sharing and appreciation are essential components of Ramadan, we
hope local mosques, community centers and Islamic schools will take this
opportunity to invite their neighbors to join in an iftar meal," said CAIR
Executive Director Nihad Awad.
CAIR is helping local communities organize what is hoped to become an
annual effort by providing step-by-step instructions for hosting a "Sharing
Ramadan" iftar. The "SHARING RAMADAN" RESOURCE GUIDE is available online
at: http://www.cair-net.org/downloads/ramadan.pdf and
'SHARING RAMADAN" KIT TABLE OF CONTENTS
* Welcome Letter from CAIR Director
* Step-by-Step Guide to Organizing an Iftar
* Sample Media Advisory
* Welcome to Our Ramadan Fast-Breaking Brochure
* Ramadan FAQs
* Islam/American Muslims FAQs
* Sample Event Program
* Sample Newspaper Ad
1) FORM A 'SHARE RAMADAN' COMMITTEE in your community to help in this
effort. Once a "Share Ramadan" committee has been formed, please email
Ramadan@cair-net.org so CAIR can help and keep track of all the local
communities participating in this nationwide initiative.
2) COPY AND USE the materials in the "Sharing Ramadan" kit.
3) CONTACT A LOCAL CAIR OFFICE for help in organizing the iftar. To find
CAIR chapter contact information, go to:
4) SEND CAIR photos and video of your event. (Also count the number of
5) BECOME A CAIR MEMBER or DONATE to help us carry out this important work.
GO TO: http://www.cair-net.org (Click on "support.")
- PLEASE ANNOUNCE, POST AND DISTRIBUTE -