Islamic Relief USA, a Washington, D.C.-area relief and development organization, today announced that it has increased its fundraising goal for the Pakistan flood victims to 2 million dollars due to the worsening conditions in the region.
"As the numbers of those affected by these floods increase, so too must the amount we raise to help those in need," said Abed Ayoub, CEO of Islamic Relief USA. "Time is of the essence here. More lives will be lost if we don't immediately help provide the basics for their survival. We ask everyone to please donate now."
Islamic Relief launched its appeal on July 30 and has been providing emergency assistance to survivors in part, by:
- Administering camps housing thousands of internally displaced people and setting up another camp for hundreds more
- Constructing sanitation facilities in Nowshera using fiberglass slabs
- Distributing family hygiene kits to benefit more than 20,000 people in Nowshera and Mardan, with 1,570 more kits are on the way
- Transporting hundreds of tents to disaster zone for distribution
- Ordering and procuring 4,000 food parcels which are now ready for distribution to displaced families
- Distributing household kits containing mattresses, mosquito nets, etc. in Sibbi and Nowshera to benefit nearly 20,000 people
- Providing kitchen sets containing cooking pots, utensils, etc. to benefit nearly 20,000 people in Sibbi and Nowshera
- Purchasing and distributing temporary shelters to house more than 5,600 displaced victims
- Setting up hygiene sessions to educate flood victims about importance of hygiene for their health
Donations can be made now at www.IslamicReliefUSA.org
Islamic Relief has been working in Pakistan and the Pakistani-administered regions of Kashmir for nearly two decades. In 2005, Islamic Relief helped raise more than $70 million in aid for the victims of the deadly earthquake in northern Pakistan.
Inspired by Islam's values on charitable giving and community development, IR USA is a relief organization dedicated to alleviating poverty through disaster relief and development projects in the U.S. and globally for communities regardless of color, race, religion, or creed.
For the seventh consecutive year, Islamic Relief USA has been awarded four stars by Charity Navigator, the largest charity evaluator in the country. This prestigious award puts Islamic Relief among the top 2.25 percent of charities in the nation. To learn more, visit, www.islamicreliefusa.org
Note: Islamic Relief USA's CFC (Combined Federal Campaign) number is 10194.
Media Contact: Rabiah Ahmed at 202-439-1441 or firstname.lastname@example.org