Executive Director Opportunity:
Council on Islamic Relations (CAIR), Washington
At a time of record low public opinion of Islam and historically high anti-Muslim bullying and hate crimes nationwide, CAIR-Washington State, a chapter of CAIR, the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights organization, is seeking a creative and visionary professional to help strive toward equal opportunity for American Muslims, and a normalized image of Islam and Muslims.
A study conducted by Media Tenor of primetime news from 2007 to 2013 when seen in light of research by University of Hawaii, University of Exeter & National Hispanic Media Coalition indicates that years of defamatory coverage and lack of accurate, representative coverage of American Muslims may have contributed to today’s historically-record-high anti-Muslim hate crime levels.
This is where you come in.
Working in partnership with CAIR chapters nationwide, a local Board of Directors and a 4-person staff in Seattle, the Media Relations Manager will place earned media stories in local and national media as part of an earned media campaign which may also be shared with CAIR chapters and partners across the country, reaching an audience of hundreds of millions.
For more information about CAIR-WA please review the website: www.cairseattle.org
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate brings the ability and desire to change the way mainstream media covers Islam and Muslims by launching an earned media campaign reaching an audience of hundreds of millions. The successful candidate is a visionary and creative thinker with demonstrated successes in innovating, directing, and implementing successful earned media campaigns. S/he has worked in the trenches and understands how to place stories. S/he believes deeply in community empowerment and organizing to drive policy change and in mass communication toward social change. S/he embodies the belief that American Muslims are part and parcel of American society and deserve equal opportunity and equal treatment.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The Media Relations Manager will have demonstrated abilities in the following areas:
- Demonstrated success in innovating and implementing earned media campaigns
- Deep passion for the values, mission and vision of the organization
- Sophisticated judgement and ability to quickly gain in-depth knowledge of substantive issues in current news and entertainment media portrayals of Islam/Muslims
- Ability to develop and foster partnerships with regional and national media decision-makers to place stories in news and entertainment media
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including being able to be key media and public event spokesperson. Exceptional creativity and strategic skills, problem-solving abilities, and proven ability to develop and implement innovative programs and strategies to promote collaboration and achieve mission.
Compensation includes a salary between $60k and $80k commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications. Compensation also includes medical, vision and dental benefits starting day-one, and discretionary leave benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send their resume and a cover letter describing why they feel they are the ideal candidate and person to move the organization forward along with their salary history and requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference “CAIR-WA Media Relations Manager Search” in the subject line. Applicants are also encouraged to send any of the following:
- Sample email media pitches
- Messaging documents
- Video links and interview transcripts
- Op-Eds or other writings of maximum 2 pages
Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
CAIR-WA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.