Schedule type: Full time, Exempt Employee
Location: CAIR-Washington (CAIR-WA) is located in Downtown Seattle
Reports to the Executive Director
CAIR-WA is seeking an attorney with a demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy and serving diverse communities. We are looking for a motivated individual with a strong passion for public interest law and experience in representing discriminated individuals in front of administrative bodies/tribunals and courts. The candidate will be expected to identify, strategize, and use creative legal and grassroots advocacy solutions to address systematic issues facing the American Muslim community.
Practice Areas: Civil Rights/Civil Liberties (Religious Freedom), Employment, Immigration, National Security, Open Government, and Police Practices, Corrections
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Executive Director and the Advocacy team to develop an integrated vision and strategy for the legal and policy department.
- Oversee legal intake process, case selection, case staffing, provide mentorship, and ensure ongoing professional development of department staff.
- Develop and supervise the legal team through all phases of litigation, including community education and outreach, identifying clients, case development, drafting pleadings and briefs, engaging in all aspects of discovery, and oral argument.
- Ensure that legal department staff members and projects have clearly defined roles, goals, and systems for managing the work effectively.
- Provide analysis of court rulings and legal strategy and articulate CAIR-WA’s legal analysis to the public and the media as requested by the Executive Director and the Media and Outreach Director. Serve as a spokesperson with the media, testify before policymaking bodies based on area of expertise, and present at conferences or other public speaking engagements that further CAIR-WA’s mission and legal strategies.
- Oversee and maintain the legal department and complete the state and national reporting requirements according to organization policy.
- Build, manage, and maintain relationships with clients, affected communities, law firms, law schools and legal clinics, allied legal groups, and other key stakeholders to advance the organization’s legal and policy work.
- Develop and disseminate press statements and talking points relating to cases for the community and media outlets.
- Meet with local elected officials to advocate on issues that affect the Muslim community and collaborate with civil rights organizations on common causes.
- Engage with local, state, and federal government officials.
Skills & Abilities:
- Solid track record of litigation experience, including developing cases, pre-trial and trial stages, and zealous advocacy with meaningful results.
- Excellent research, oral, and written communication to interface with media professionals, community leaders, government officials, and staff in a professional and effective manner.
- An understanding of civil rights and immigration issues impacting Muslims in America.
- Familiarity, cultural competency, and experience engaging with Muslim audiences.
- Commitment to the civil rights challenges facing Muslim and American Muslim communities.
- Demonstrated track record of alignment and support for the mission and vision of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
- Highly motivated, self-initiating and energetic. Ability to handle multiple concurrent assignments and meet deadlines; must be able to work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Sophisticated political judgment, understanding of legislative issues and policies both locally and nationally.
- At least 3-5+ years of litigation experience
- Familiarity with civil rights issues impacting the Muslim community
- The salary is competitive for a nonprofit organization and is commensurate with applicant’s experience.
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
- Evenings, weekends and off-hour work will be required. Some travel will be required. Having your own car along with a valid driver’s license is required.
- Please email: (1) cover letter, (2) resume (3) three references and (4) writing sample to: nalsaleh @cair.com with the subject line “Legal and Policy Director.” No phone calls please.
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. CAIR-WA is an equal opportunity employer.