(MIAMI, FL, 5/26/2021) – The Florida chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-Florida), the state’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today other civil rights and interfaith organizations as a signatory to letters sent the legislator members of the Jewish Caucus of Florida asking to clarify their stance on Islamophobic hateful social media posts penned by Rep. Randy Fine on the Jewish Caucus’ letterhead.
CAIR-Florida was also a signatory to multiple requests for investigation on Representative Randy Fine’s conduct addressed to the Florida House of Representatives Public Integrity & Elections Committee, the Florida Inspector General Office (OIG), and the Florida Republican Party.
Representative Randy Fine released a statement, presumably on behalf of the entire Jewish Caucus, that dehumanizes all Palestinians and uses Islamophobic tropes. He continued along with the statement to post, from his official Facebook account, a defense of the statement in the forms of comments including:
- “Proud to stand with my colleagues, both Republicans and Democrats, in condemning the Islamic terrorism coming out of Gaza. I fully support Israel using maximum force to punish these animals. #NoMercy”
- He responded to a comment about Palestinians in their homes and maintaining respect with “#BlowThemUp”
- And replied “YES,” when asked in a comment if it was ok that US reporters were in the news building that was bombed.
CAIR-Florida Programs and Outreach Director Raniah El-Gendi stated: “Spewing hate and inciting violence is simply unacceptable conduct for an elected official whose duty is to serve the public, which means all of their constituents. Our message to Randy Fine and our legislators is clear, Islamophobic rhetoric and dehumanization of groups can simply not be tolerated.”
- Letter to Members of the Jewish Caucus from Florida Muslim Organizations
- Request for Investigation against Member of Florida House of Representative Randy Fine under House Rule 15 Ethics and Code of Conduct of the Members
CAIR-Florida’s mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR – Florida es mejorar la comprensión del Islam, proteger las libertades civiles, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
CONTACT: Wilfredo Amr Ruiz, CAIR-Florida Communications Director, 305-502-6749, email@example.com