(NEW YORK, NY, 6/21/2022)—The New York chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-NY) today condemned the alleged snatching of an 8-year-old Jewish boy’s yarmulke from his head by an unidentified man in the Borough Park section of Brooklyn yesterday afternoon.
According to police, the alleged perpetrator approached the child, grabbed his yarmulke from his head, then ran away without uttering a word. He is now being sought for grand larceny and possible hate crime charges.
Afaf Nasher, Executive Director of CAIR-NY, said in a statement:
“We condemn this obnoxious and malicious alleged display of contempt for religious attire. The yarmulke or kippah is a traditional head covering worn by Jewish males, typically during prayer and religious observances, but also at other times, as a symbol of Jewish identity. To forcibly remove it is profoundly disrespectful and hurtful, especially to an 8-year-old child. We urge the NYPD to find the alleged culprit and investigate whether anti-Jewish hatred was a motive.”
She added that CAIR-NY and the American Muslim community stand in solidarity with all those challenging white supremacy, anti-Jewish hate, anti-Black racism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, and all other forms of bigotry.
Anyone with information about this incident should contact NYPD Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (English), 1-888-57-PISTA (Spanish), or via their website at http://crimestoppers.nypdonline.org.
CAIR-NY has condemned several other disturbing hate incidents in recent weeks:
- CAIR-NY Condemns Racist Assault on Two Asian American Teenage Girls on Staten Island Bus
- CAIR-NY Welcomes Arrest of Racist Who Allegedly Harassed, Threatened Black Pastor and Son in Newburgh
- CAIR-NY Condemns Assault, Robbery of Hispanic Man in Queens, Welcomes Hate Crime Probe
- CAIR-NY Condemns Racist Verbal Abuse Targeting Black Pastor in Newburgh
- CAIR-NY Welcomes Hate Crime Charges for Teens Who Allegedly Scrawled Anti-Black and Anti-Jewish Graffiti on Yorktown Bridge Underpass
- CAIR-NY Welcomes Hate Crime Indictment for Assault Targeting Jewish Man in Brooklyn
- CAIR-NY Condemns Islamophobic Verbal Assault on Man in Brooklyn
CAIR-NY’s mission is to protect civil rights, enhance understanding of Islam, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR-NY es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
Become a Fan of CAIR-NY on Facebook
Subscribe to CAIR-NY’s Email List
Subscribe to CAIR-NY’s Twitter Feed
Subscribe to CAIR-NY’s YouTube Channel
Follow CAIR-NY on Instagram
Donate to CAIR-NY
Do you like reading CAIR-NY’s press releases and taking part in our action alerts? You can help contribute to CAIR-NY’s work of defending civil rights and empowering American Muslims across the country by making a one-time contribution or becoming a monthly donor. Supporters like you make CAIR-NY’s advocacy work possible and defeating Islamophobia an achievable goal. Click here to donate to CAIR-NY.