(WASHINGTON, D.C., 5/27/2020) – The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today thanked members of Congress for issuing videos greetings and statements over the weekend marking the end of the month-long fast of Ramadan and celebration of the Eid al-Fitr (EED-al-FITTER).
Over the weekend, at least 18 members of congress issued video greetings and statements, including the offices of Representatives Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), André Carson (D-IN), Judy Chu (D-CA), Debbie Dingell (D-MI), Pramila Jayapal (D-WA), Ilhan Omar (D-MN), Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-NJ), Adam Smith (D-WA), Rashida Tlaib (MI-D), and Senators Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Tim Kane (D-VA), Ed Markey (D-MA), Chris Murphy (D-CT), Patty Murray (D-WA), Mark Warner (D-VA), and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA).
“CAIR thanks the many members of Congress and elected officials across the nation WHO marked the end of Ramadan and celebration of the Eid ul-Fitr with warm holiday greets,” said CAIR Director of Government Affairs Robert S. McCaw. “Through resolutions and public statements of good will, Congress this Ramadan stood up for religious freedom and in solidarity with their Muslim constituents.”
Click here to watch or read congressional Eid ul-Fitr greetings:
- Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA): Statement
- Rep. André Carson (D-IN): Statement
- Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA): Video
- Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-MI): Video
- Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-WA): Video
- Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN): Statement
- Rep. Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-NJ): Video
- Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA): Video
- Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI): Statement
- Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT): Video
- Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL): Video
- Sen. Tim Kane (D-VA): Video
- Sen. Ed Markey (D-MA): Video
- Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT): Video
- Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA): Video
- Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT): Statement
- Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA): Video
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA): Statement
- Congresswoman Kendra Horn (OK)
[Note: Did we miss your member of Congress marking the end of Ramadan and welcoming the Eid holiday? Let us know at email@example.com]
Last week, CAIR welcomed Congresswoman Dingell’s introduction of a U.S. House resolution marking the end of the month-long fast of Ramadan and celebration of the Eid al-Fitr holiday.
At the start of Ramadan, CAIR welcomed Reps. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX), Carson, Omar, and Tlaib’s (D-MI) introduction of U.S. House Resolution 940 “Recognizing the commencement of Ramadan.”
CAIR is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
CONTACT: CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-744-7726, firstname.lastname@example.org; CAIR Director of Government Affairs Department Robert S. McCaw, 202-999-8292, email@example.com