Action: Canadian Mag Prints ‘Fear Mongering’ Article
ACTION ALERT: WRITE MACLEAN’S MAGAZINE ABOUT FEAR MONGERING ARTICLE
(OTTAWA, CANADA – OCT 31, 2006) The Canadian Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-CAN) is asking all people of conscience to write to Maclean’s Magazine.
In the October 23rd issue of Maclean’s, a provocative and Islamophobic article by Mark Steyn was printed entitled, “The future belongs to Islam.”
The article’s fear mongering tone focuses on the influx of Muslim immigrants into Europe and North America through an analysis that parallels Samuel Huntington’s infamous book, “The Clash of Civilizations.”
An excerpt from the article reads:
“Age + Welfare = Disaster for you;
Youth + Will = Disaster for whoever gets in your way.
Islam has Youth and will, Europe has age and welfare.”
In criticising the Maclean’s article, Derrick O’Keefe writes, “Seen within the “War on Terror”… Steyn’s article must be understood as a deliberate, hateful and provocative act.”
To read the Maclean’s article visit:
To read Derrick O’Keefe’s critique please visit:
1. Write a 150 word letter to Maclean’s Magazine for print.
2. Or submit a two to three paragraph letter to the Maclean’s editorial board.
When writing it is critical to keep Maclean’s readership in mind and maintain a style that is calm and convincing, but firm.
1. The article entitled “The Future belongs to Islam” is inflammatory and offensive. It does little to build bridges, it simply divides people.
2. It would be appreciated if such provocative articles are not given space and if Maclean’s maintains a balanced editorial policy.
3. Maclean’s in the past was an authoritative and respectable voice for Canadians; however, today’s Maclean’s is clearly breaking away from this tradition.
4. If Maclean’s Magazine continues to publish such articles, I will consider not renewing my subscription.
WRITE MACLEAN’S AT:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
One Mount Pleasant Road
When submitting letters for publication Maclean’s requests that an author’s name, address and daytime phone number be supplied for verification purposes.