Action: Support Comprehensive Immigration Reform
(WASHINGTON, DC, 4/4/2006) – CAIR today called on American Muslims and other people of conscience to urge their elected officials to support humane and comprehensive immigration reform.
Last year, the U.S. House passed legislation addressing security concerns only. The Senate will be voting on its own version of immigration legislation this week.
Effective reform will address security concerns while simultaneously reforming our nation’s broken immigration system.
The following reforms should be included in any comprehensive immigration reform legislation:
* A path to citizenship for immigrants earned through working, paying taxes and learning English
* Measures that regulate wages and working conditions to protect workers from being exploited
* A way to keep families intact.
* Security measures that detect and exclude terrorists while respecting basic legal protections such as judicial review and uniform enforcement of laws
Any measures punishing religious leaders for humanitarian acts toward undocumented workers, such as providing food and water, should be excluded.
“Anti-immigrant bigotry and xenophobia should not be allowed to dominate this debate,” said CAIR Government Affairs Director Corey Saylor. “America’s laws should reflect our nation’s humanitarian ideals and immigrant origins.”
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED:
1) Call your U.S. Senators and ask them to support immigration reform that addresses security concerns while simultaneously reforming our nation’s broken immigration system.
TO CONTACT YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES, GO TO (Talking points and advice for making an effective call are provided at the website.): http://capwiz.com/cair/callalert/index.tt?alertid=8653051&type=CO