CAIR launches Eid u-Adha voter registration drive
CAIR today announced plans for a major voter registration drive designed to coincide with Eid ul-Adha. Eid ul-Adha will occur on February 1 or 2, depending on the sighting of the new moon.
CAIR is calling on Islamic communities nationwide to register Muslim voters at the festivals commonly held following Eid prayers. These festivals draw thousands of Muslims in each community and offer an excellent opportunity to distribute voter registration materials.
|Publicizing your voter registration drive|
|How to conduct a voter registration drive|
To facilitate the registration effort, CAIR is distributing a step-by-step guide, “How to Conduct a Voter Registration Guide,” (see below) containing an explanation of why Muslims should participate in the political process, requirements for voting eligibility and instructions on how to conduct a voter registration drive. The guide also contains a sample Eid voter registration news release for local communities.
“Active political participation by American Muslims is no longer an option, it is a necessity,” said CAIR Board Chairman Omar Ahmad. “It is only through the power of the vote that Muslims will have their concerns addressed by political candidates and elected representatives.”
CAIR is asking khatibs nationwide to encourage voting in their khutbas on Eid ul-Adha. Eid festival organizers should also set up voter registration tables in bazaars.
Reasons why Muslims should vote:
- Supporting accommodation of Islamic religious requirements in the workplace and in schools
- Creating a safe and drug-free environment for families
- Challenging discrimination and stereotyping
- Encouraging foreign and domestic policies that are based on justice
- Deciding how your tax dollars are used
Who may register to vote?
To be eligible to vote, a person:
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must live in the state where he/she is registering
- Must be at least 18 years old by the date of the next general election
- Must not claim the right to vote in any other state
Immediate Action Requested:
- Plan and conduct an Eid voter registration drive using the guide below. NOTE: INFORM CAIR OF ANY VOTER REGISTRATION PLANS.
- Make lists of newly-registered voters. (Mail a copy to CAIR.) If your community volunteers to hold a registration drive, please contact: Hasan Mansori, 202-488-8787, email@example.com
- Invite local candidates to Eid activities. Offer to let them say a few words to the community.
- Imams should use part of their Eid khutba to encourage community members to register.
- Inform CAIR about all those who have registered or who are already registered. We are building a national Muslim voter database.