CAIR launches national ad campaign
CAIR today announced it will launch a year-long “Islam in America” advertising campaign designed to foster greater understanding of Islam and to counter what the group says is a rising tide of anti-Muslim rhetoric in the United States.
The campaign will kick off with an ad, headlined “We’re All Americans,” in the New York Times editorial page on Sunday, February 16th. That ad features images of an African-American girl, an Asian man and another man of European heritage, and asks the question: “Which one of us is a Muslim?” The response: “We all are…we’re American Muslims.”
CAIR’s weekly ads, each explaining one aspect of Islam, will be distributed to Muslim communities around American for placement in local newspapers. As each ad is published in the New York Times, it will be available on a web site, www.americanmuslims.info, specifically designed to promote the campaign.
“Without accurate and balanced information about mainstream Islam and Muslims, ordinary Americans are vulnerable to the purveyors of hate, in this country and around the world, who seek a perpetual religious and civilizational conflict,” said CAIR Board Chairman Omar Ahmad.
“American Muslims must take on the task of defining their faith. Otherwise, that definition will be left to those whose agenda serves religious and political goals that are in conflict with our nation’s long-term interests,” said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. Awad cited the Islamophobic rhetoric of evangelical and right-wing commentators, and the extremist views of some Muslims claiming to act in the name of Islam.
The text of Sunday’s New York Times ad reads: “It’s impossible to make general assumptions about Muslims because we represent more than one billion people from a vast range of races, nationalities and cultures – from the South Pacific to the horn of Africa. Only about 18 percent of Muslims live in the Arabic-speaking world. The largest Muslim community is in Indonesia. Substantial parts of Asia and most of Africa have Muslim majority populations, while significant minorities are to be found in the countries of the former Soviet Union, China, North and South America, and Europe.
“American Muslims are an equally diverse group of people. We’re immigrants from across the globe who came here seeking freedom and opportunity. We’re the children of immigrant parents, and descendants of Africans who have called America home for generations. We’re converts of varied nationalities and ethnic backgrounds. We’re doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians, civil rights activists, mothers, fathers, students…making our homes and raising our families in communities across America.
“What we all have in common is a shared faith and a shared commitment to our nation’s safety and prosperity. We’re Americans and we’re Muslims.”
The information below, and the latest ad is available at: http://www.americanmuslims.info
- Donate to support the campaign by using the form at the bottom of this alert.
- Publish each weekly ad in your local community’s newspaper. This is a year-long campaign, so you can get more favorable rates by agreeing to publish a series of ads instead of just one.
HOW TO PUBLISH THE NY TIMES ADS IN YOUR LOCAL NEWSPAPER
- Contact the Display or Business Advertising sales department of the newspaper. (Not the classified ad dept.)
- Most newspapers list the phone numbers for individual departments on one of the first few pages of Section A. If you can’t find the number there, call the main phone number of the newspaper – most papers have a very detailed message system with options for contacting specific departments – or visit the newspaper’s web site.
- Tell the account representative that you want to place a ¼-page, black & white (1/4-pg/BW) ad, and give them a specific date(s) that you want the ad to appear in the paper. You will also be asked if you want the ad to appear in a specific section or on a specific page of the newspaper. (Rates will vary based on day of the week and position)
- Ask the account representative for the following information:
– Space deadline (the date on which you must confirm purchase of the ad space; once you confirm the ad buy, you are committed to payment)
– Materials deadline (the date on which you must supply the paper with files for the ad – most papers now accept digital files)
– Specifications for a ¼-pg/BW ad (dimensions) tell them that you have a hi-resolution file of a BW ad that is 6.25″ x 10/5″ (CAIR can provide other ad sizes, but at extra cost.)
- Advertising rates will vary with each newspaper. Ask for the Net Rate for the size/day/position that you want
– Tell the Account Rep that you will not be using a media buyer, so the 15% commission should not be included in the rate.
– Ask if there is a lower rate for non-profit organizations
– Ask if you can negotiate a lower rate, based on a commitment to place several ads in the publication over a certain period of time
- When you deliver the final ad to the newspaper, an Insertion Order must accompany the files. The following information must appear on the Insertion Order:
1. Name of advertiser
4. Name of the newspaper
5. Account rep name and phone numbers
6. Issue Date
7. Materials deadline
8. Net Rate
9. Ad Size
10. Position requested
Special Instructions: Please send 5 tear sheets of the publication to: (Supply your name/address here.) *Tear sheets are complimentary copies of the newspaper on the day that the ad appears.
Send materials to: (Supply the name/title/phone number of the account representative, and the shipping address of the newspaper.)