(WASHINGTON, D.C., 4/26/18) — The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today urged the nation’s Muslim community to prepare for the upcoming holy month of Ramadan by better understanding their legal rights in the workplace and school.
Helpful tips to remember when asking for a Religious Accommodation from your Employer:
- Familiarize yourself with your employer’s procedures for requesting religious accommodations;
- Make it clear that you are requesting the accommodation because of your sincere religious belief or practice;
- Make the formal request to your direct supervisor or to the person designated by company policy;
- Follow up your formal request in writing; and
- Parents are encouraged to contact their children’s schools and teachers in advance to request religious accommodations for their children during Ramadan. Continue the conversation with your employer.
Accommodation requests can include being excused from strenuous physical activity and a day off for upcoming Eid religious holiday.
For assistance requesting a religious accommodation, community members are encouraged to contact their local CAIR chapter or CAIR’s Civil Rights Department by filing a report at http://www.cair.com/report or by calling CAIR’s civil rights hotline at 202-742-6420.
CAIR launched an app to share critical “know your rights” information and to simplify the process to report hate crimes and bias incidents. CAIR is urging American Muslims and members of other minority groups to download the app and utilize this resource to stay informed and empowered.
You can download CAIR’s civil rights app here: http://www.cair.com/app
CAIR’s mission is to protect civil rights, enhance understanding of Islam, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misiÃ³n de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensiÃ³n del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
CONTACT: CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-744-7726, firstname.lastname@example.org