(NEW YORK, N.Y., 5/18/2022) — The New York chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-NY) today condemned the drive-by shooting of a teenager dressed in traditional Jewish attire, which occurred in Brooklyn’s Bedford–Stuyvesant neighborhood on Monday afternoon.
According to witnesses, the victim was walking on the sidewalk when a black SUV drove by and its occupants began firing at him with a BB gun, grazing his neck. Moments earlier, the assailants allegedly shot at the Yavoshna Toras Moshe synagogue, shattering one of its windows.
- NYPD Investigating BB Gun Shooting as Possible Hate Crime
- Man shot with BB gun outside Brooklyn synagogue in possible hate crime
- Teen wearing Jewish attire hit with pellet gun bullets in Brooklyn: NYPD
CAIR-NY Executive Director Afaf Nasher said in a statement:
“Targeting New Yorkers because of their faith or religious attire is deplorable. CAIR-NY condemns this anti-Jewish hate incident and welcomes the NYPD’s hate crime investigation. We are grateful that the victim’s injuries were minor and the damage to the synagogue was minimal. We stand in solidarity with our Jewish neighbors as we combat the rise in hate in our city.”
She added that CAIR-NY and the American Muslim community stand in solidarity with all those challenging white supremacy, antisemitism, anti-Black racism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, and all other forms of bigotry.
CAIR-NY has condemned several other disturbing hate crimes in recent weeks:
- CAIR-NY Condemns Violent, Anti-Jewish Assault on a Brooklyn Man, Urges Swift NYPD Response
- CAIR-NY Welcomes Hate Crime Probe into Assault on Elderly Asian Woman in Manhattan
- CAIR-NY Condemns Anti-Turkish Hate Crime in Manhattan
- CAIR-NY Condemns Vicious Attack on Elderly Sikh Men in Queens, Applauds NYPD’s Swift Response and Hate Crime Probe
CAIR-NY’s mission is to protect civil rights, enhance understanding of Islam, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR-NY es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
Become a Fan of CAIR-NY on Facebook
Subscribe to CAIR-NY’s Email List
Subscribe to CAIR-NY’s Twitter Feed
Subscribe to CAIR-NY’s YouTube Channel
Follow CAIR-NY on Instagram
Donate to CAIR-NY
Do you like reading CAIR-NY’s press releases and taking part in our action alerts? You can help contribute to CAIR-NY’s work of defending civil rights and empowering American Muslims across the country by making a one-time contribution or becoming a monthly donor. Supporters like you make CAIR-NY’s advocacy work possible and defeating Islamophobia an achievable goal. Click here to donate to CAIR-NY.