CHICAGO CIVIL-RIGHTS COMMUNITY TO REACT TO SALAH/ASHQAR VERDICT
(CHICAGO, IL, 1/17/2007) – The Chicago office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-Chicago) said today that the Coalition to Protect People’s Rights, an alliance of more than 20 organizations and individuals united to protect citizens from civil liberties and human rights abuses, will hold a news conference 30 minutes after the anticipated Salah/Ashqar verdict is read. The verdict is expected at any time.
SEE: Jury Deliberation begins in Salah Case
Selected Coalition members of those in attendance will speak on the Constitutional and Human Rights violations of Mr. Salah and the verdict. Speakers include the defense attorneys and members of the Arab, Palestinian, Christian, Muslim, Human Rights and Civil Rights communities of Chicago.
EXPECTED NEWS CONFERENCE ATTENDEES:
* Michael Deutsch, Attorney, Muhammad Salah Defense Team
* Bill Moffit, Attorney, Abdelhaleem Al-Ashqar Defense Team
* Dr. Zaher Sahloul, President, Mosque Foundation
* Ahmed Rehab, Executive Director, Council on American Islamic Relations – Chicago (CAIR)
* Abdul Malik Mujahid, Chairman, Council of Islamic Organization of Greater Chicago (CIOGC)
* Dr. Shafic Budron, President, American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee – Chicago
* Dori Dinsmore, Regional Director, Midwest Region Amnesty International-USA
* Miryam Rashid, American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
* Steven Saltzman, Attorney, Center for Constitutional Rights
* Jeff Frank, National Lawyer’s Guild (NLG)
* Dorothy Pagosa, 8th Day Center for Justice
WHAT: Press Conference, Reaction to Anticipated Salah/Ashqar verdict
WHEN: 30 minutes after Verdict is Delivered (Expected anytime this week)
WHERE: Lobby of the Dirksen Federal Building – Dearborn and Adams
CAIR-Chicago will send a media alert 1.5 hours before the verdict is delivered.
CONTACTS: Ahmed Rehab, CAIR-Chicago (847) 971-3963 email@example.com; Dr. Zaher Sahloul, Mosque Foundation, firstname.lastname@example.org