(WASHINGTON, D.C., 10/14/09) – CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad spoke today at an interfaith hearing on universal health care hosted by the American Muslim Taskforce on Civil Rights and Elections (AMT), a coalition of major national Islamic organizations, on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.
The hearing, which included presentations by Christian, Muslim, Jewish, and Buddhist leaders and by members of Congress, was designed to mobilize support for “genuine health care reform.”
Scheduled speakers at the interfaith hearing included:
- Rev. Walter Fauntroy, Pastor, New Bethel Baptist Church
- Ibrahim Ramey, Director, Human and Civil Rights Division – MAS Freedom
- Hilary Shelton, Director, NAACP Washington Bureau
- Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH)
- Rev. Kaz Nakata, Ekoji Buddhist Temple
- Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN)
- Rev. Louisa Davis, Coordinator, Greater Washington Allies in Reconciliation
- Rabbi Benyamin Biber, Machar, Washington, D.C.
- Lavanya Sithanandam M.D., Board Member, South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT)
AMT is an umbrella organization that includes American Muslim Alliance (AMA), American Muslims for Palestine (AMP), Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA), Muslim Alliance in North America (MANA), MAS-Freedom, Muslim Student Association-National (MSA-N), Muslim Ummah of North America (MUNA), and United Muslims of America (UMA). Its observer organizations include American Muslims for Civic Engagement (AMCE), Islamic Educational Council of Orange County (IECOC), the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), and Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC).
CAIR is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
CONTACT: CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-488-8787 or 202-744-7726, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; CAIR Communications Coordinator Amina Rubin, 202-488-8787 or 202-341-4171, E-Mail: email@example.com