DENNIS PRAGER SUPPORTERS SPEW ANTI-MUSLIM HATE
Islamic civil rights group receives hundreds of hate-filled e-mails
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 12/8/06) – The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said today that it has received hundreds of hate-filled e-mails from supporters of radio talk show host Dennis Prager who says the first Muslim elected to Congress should be prevented from taking his oath of office using the Quran.
This week, CAIR called on President Bush to rescind Prager’s appointment to the United States Holocaust Memorial Council because of his intolerant views toward Islam in American society. CAIR had earlier called on the head of the museum council to remove Prager from his post because his views are incompatible with the mission of that taxpayer-funded institution.
A number of other commentators and groups, including the Anti-Defamation League, the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism and the American Jewish Committee, have rejected Prager’s views.
On his radio program, Prager asked supporters to come to his assistance by writing letters to those, like the Minneapolis Star Tribune, who have been critical of his views. A few examples of the hundreds of Islamophobic e-mails CAIR has received from Prager’s supporters include: (Spelling errors have been left unedited, while expletives have been alerted or removed.)
* “ROT in hell with your allah and that pig Mohammed. Take your islam [expletive deleted] back to the desert sand n**ger. We are watching you”
* “nobody give a [expletive deleted] about you camel [expletive deleted] raghead dog breathe smelling antiamerican [expletive deleted], get the hell out of my country you [expletive deleted]. . .dennis prager speaks the truth. . .
* “I would suggest that those in attendance at the upcoming swearing-in just murmur [expletive deleted] as the oath with the Koran is taken.”
* “Dennis Prager has more right to serve on ANY committee or board in this country than you morons even have to EXIST in this country. Go back to the deserts and take your ignorance with you.”
* “Quit trying to force your [expletive deleted] coran and your towel head way of life on us! respect our traditions and blend in [expletive deleted]!”
* “No way, [expletive deleted] the stone aged pigs. Including our new congressman”
“Mr. Prager must recognize by now that his call to permanently exclude Islam and other minority faiths from the public arena has added substantially to the level of anti-Muslim bigotry and interfaith mistrust in our society,” said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. “We urge Mr. Prager to issue a statement calling on his supporters to repudiate anti-Muslim hatred and to respect the religious rights of all Americans.”
Awad said that Prager should take responsibility for the harm his views have caused to interfaith relations by resigning from the United States Holocaust Memorial Council.
The U.S. Constitution states that “no religious test shall ever be required” to hold public office. No books of any kind are used in the actual swearing-in ceremony. Representatives may use any book they choose, or no book at all, during later ceremonial events.
CAIR, America’s largest Islamic civil liberties group, has 32 offices and chapters nationwide and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
– END –
CONTACT: CAIR National Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper, 202-488-8787 or 202-744-7726, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; CAIR Communications Coordinator Rabiah Ahmed, 202-488-8787 or 202-439-1441, E-Mail: email@example.com; CAIR Communications Coordinator Amina Rubin, 202-488-8787, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org