(WASHINGTON, D.C., 5/14/20) – The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today thanked member of Congress who yesterday stood in support of Palestinian human rights as dozens of civilians are being massacred by Israel’s bombardment of Gaza.
ACTION REQUESTED: Sign CAIR’s Card Thanking Members of Congress for Supporting Palestinian Human Rights
According to media reports, the Israeli government’s ongoing bombardment of the Gaza Strip has so far killed 119 Palestinians, including 31 children and 19 women. An entire family of 6 was killed in their home. In addition, the Israeli government continues to attack worshippers and protesters at the Al-Aqsa Masjid compound while fighting to expel Palestinian families from Sheikh Jarrah.
SEE: Palestinians flee as Israeli artillery pounds northern Gaza
Several Democrats in House of Representatives spoke out against America’s military support for Israel and called for the protection of Palestinians’ rights.
- Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) criticized the Biden administration for statements that she said did not acknowledge “Palestinian humanity. “To read the statements from President [Joe] Biden, Secretary [of State Antony] Blinken, General [Lloyd] Austin and leaders of both parties, you would hardly know Palestinians existed at all,” said Tlaib.
- Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu an “ethno-nationalist leader. “Consider that 78 percent of their [Palestinians’] land was taken from them.”
- Rep. Cori Bush (D-MO) SAID: “Palestinians know what state violence, militarized policing and occupation of their communities look like, and they live that reality of having to go through checkpoints while trying to live their lives.” “We are anti-war, we are anti-occupation, and we are anti-apartheid,” she said.
- Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) said: “We cannot remain silent when our government sends $3.8bn of military aid to Israel that is used to demolish Palestinian homes, imprison Palestinian children, and displace Palestinian families. A budget is a reflection of our values.”
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) called on the Biden administration to acknowledge the human rights violations suffered by Palestinians. “The president and many other figures this week stated that Israel has a right to self-defense and this is a sentiment that is echoed across this body. But do Palestinians have a right to survive? Do we believe that and if so, we have a responsibility to that as well.”
- Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI) said he and his colleagues “stood up because no one should suffer the loss of life, liberty, or dignity that the Palestinian people have suffered.” “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor,” said Pocan.
TO VIEW ALL THE REMARKS IN SUPPORT OF PALESTINIAN RIGHTS, GO TO:
Congress members slam US support for Israel
SEE ALSO: Over 100 Democratic Party leaders demand White House recognize dignity rights in Palestine instead of another hollow Eid greeting
“We thank all those elected officials who stood in support of Palestinian human rights and against uncritical and un-American support for Israel’s brutal actions against civilians, including the latest ethnic cleansing of Palestinians in Sheikh Jarrah, which is the origin of the latest brutality,” said CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad. “Lawmakers, and the American public, are now seeing that continued support for Israel’s apartheid, racial and religious segregation and disregard for basic human rights is not in our nation’s best interests and violates the ideals upon which our nation was founded.”
Sheikh Jarrah: Amid Israel’s daily horrors, we must not forget the original sin https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/sheikh-jarrah-israel-palestine-daily-horrors-original-sin
He added that CAIR also joined the US Council of Muslim Organizations (USCMO) in encouraging the American Muslim community, Palestinian Americans, and allies to both communities to attend, cosponsor and support Palestine solidarity rallies taking place in cities throughout the nation this week and weekend.
FOR A CONTINUALLY-UPDATED LIST OF RALLIES, GO TO: https://www.facebook.com/ampalestine/posts/10165202073465607
CAIR has called on the Biden administration to end its silence in response to Israel ignoring White House calls for de-escalation and opting to increase missile strikes on Palestinian civilians prior to engaging in ceasefire talks.
Washington, D.C.-based CAIR is also urging the Biden administration to cease blocking United Nations Security Council attempts to issue a joint statement on the situation in Gaza.
SEE: COMMUNITY ADVISORY: CAIR Urges Local Muslim Communities to Question Elected Officials Who Take Part in Eid Events About Palestinian Rights
CAIR Calls on Biden Administration to End Its Silence, Stop Israel’s Killing of Civilians in Gaza
CAIR Calls on U.S. Government to ‘Defund Israeli Apartheid’ After Human Rights Watch Report Outlines ‘Systematic Oppression of Palestinians’
CAIR to Media Outlets: Stop Calling Israeli Attacks on Palestinians Protesting Ethnic Cleansing and Apartheid ‘Clashes’ – #SaveSheikhJarrah
CAIR is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.
Become a Fan of CAIR on Facebook
Subscribe to CAIR’s Email List
Subscribe to CAIR’s Twitter Feed
Subscribe to CAIR’s YouTube Channel
Follow CAIR on Instagram
Donate to CAIR
Do you like reading CAIR press releases and taking part in our action alerts? You can help contribute to CAIR’s work of defending civil rights and empowering American Muslims across the country by making a one-time contribution or becoming a monthly donor. Supporters like you make CAIR’s advocacy work possible and defeating Islamophobia an achievable goal. Click here to donate to CAIR.